It’s that time of year to give thanks for everything you’re lucky enough to have.
Oh wait, so why is everyone telling you to go shopping?
While I love a great deal, it’s always consumerism overload this week. Don’t you think it’s ironic that we spend the most money on new things the day after we’re thankful for what we already have?
Black Friday Tips
If you’re going to tackle Black Friday, here’s what I recommend:
- Don’t waste Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is time to spend with your family and loved ones over good food and great conversation, not shopping or planning to shop.
- Plan ahead. That being said, do plan ahead. Make a list of things you want to buy, where they are, and the price. You will know what you’re doing and avoid wandering around in a sea of people pushing their way around you.
- Be realistic. Some things will be sold out when you get there. Expect it.
- Remember Cyber Monday. Web stores are having great deals on the Monday after Thanksgiving, which saves you from road rage and getting trapped in between shopping carts for half an hour. Even on Black Friday, it’s good to remember most deals can be bought online in addition to in store.
- Make a list. It’s the perfect time to buy Christmas gifts or things you actually need to replace around the house. Make a list and stick to it. Don’t fall victim to buying something just because it’s 75% off if you don’t need it. That’s wasteful.
A Better Option
Have you considered not running after that carrot corporations are dangling in front of you this Friday? Try not buying anything. It’s actually easy to do if you stay home and enjoy an activity you love.
However, this is still hard for some. Here’s a second alternative. Many small businesses and individuals have sales on Black Friday too. Give them a chance.
- Artists: Many online artists sell their work at a discount or offer discounted commissions. I have some friends who do this. If you’re one of them, feel free to comment below with your information!
- Handcrafters: Places like the Etsy.com marketplace will have people offering their items on discount, sometimes even with free shipping. Now is the time to discover some great handmade items!
- Business Owners: Some small businesses are having sales. Check out what they’re offering before going to a huge mall. You may find a smaller crowd and even better deals.