As promised, I’m going to log my quest of organizing my apartment! I’m going by area, so you all really will get a glimpse of my apartment from every nook and cranny… Here are some obstacles I have to overcome:
- My budget. I don’t have a lot of money to buy things to organize. I’m hoping to score most of my stuff at thrift stores or on eBay. For everything else, I always have coupons.
- I rent. This means I can’t tear things down or heavily modify without wanting to kill myself whenever we move out and have to put it back the way it was. On the plus side, my style would be portable.
- Studio space. I live in a studio apartment with my fiancé Josh and our animals. It’s a small space that’s well shared, so that will play a huge role in organization.
- I live with a Boy. I live with Josh, so I can’t go around putting flowers everywhere and hanging pearl necklaces or else I’ll never hear the end of it. Luckily, pushing my girly instincts aside, we tend to share some androgynous sense of style and I try to stick with that.
Those are going to be my obstacles throughout this organizational journey. And here is my starting point, the bathroom, which I hope will look nothing like this in a few weeks.
This is the countertop. It’s very long, which is both a good and a bad thing. I’ve long struggled with how to present that left side. Here are my goals for organizing this part:
- Present the left side more nicely. I’m thinking add a mirror tray to put the candle, cotton balls, and q-tips on. The lotion and mirror will probably be moved elsewhere.
- I’d like a soap dispenser in the same style as the cup I have, for a more uniform look.
- The tissues…I don’t know. Good place or not? Should I put something else on top of the toilet? Should I invest in a ceramic cover for the tissues like I will the soap? This is still up in the air.
- The wall on top of the toilet is completely bare. I’d like to put a painting there. Probably in staying with the white/blue/brown color theme. I have yet to find something I like. Considering an Etsy print and framing it.
- I’m fairly happy with my cupboards. They just need some clear containers to organize the little we have inside.
This is the toilet and shower/bath. There’s just nothing going on here and I’d like to change that… My goals:
- I want to put another towel rod above the one we have. It’s very inconvenient for us just to have one. I hang mine on the shower doors.
- New towels. (Our are ripping at the seams.) I’m going for baby blue, continuing the theme. Saw some nice, but cheap, baby blue towels at Bed Bath and Beyond I will probably get.
- New rugs. Those are ancient and stained because of my bleach mishap. I’m going for a big one with the white/blue/brown color scheme that will take up that space, and getting rid of those two.
- You can’t see in the picture, but the bathroom door actually has paint ripped off from an Einstein (one of my dogs) incident. I need to repaint that.
- The shower is already organized. We don’t use many products and have a hanger in there. I’d like to replace the shower head though.
Okay… I’m actually really embarrassed to show this, because this is the space I want to transform the most. I’m lucky enough to have this much space in here though. My goals:
- First tier: For visitors. Large white bins to store the extra blankets we have and the air mattress.
- Second tier: Towels. Will get two white bins to store the small ones in.
- Third Tier: This is actually my vanity. (Which as you can see by the Swagger deodorant and men’s perfume, Josh invaded it because “it’s not fair.”) Make-up will be moved from the bathroom drawer into here. I’d like: a mirror on the back wall, getting a ceramic holder for my brushes, a small tiered display for my nail polishes, a mirrored tray for the perfumes, and small containers for my make-up. That black chest has to go (it’s cute but hard to use because of the small space in there, may sell it), and my skincare will be moved.
- Fourth Tier: Our medicine cabinet since we don’t have one. The extra bed sheets will be donated. My hair stuff will be on the left, my jewelry box in the middle, and I’m going to buy plastic drawers to put all our medicine kit junk in. I don’t want to be able to see it upon opining the door. My skincare items have to find a place here as well.
- Fifth Tier: Tools and cleaning supplies.
- Sixth Tier: Miscellaneous storage. More bins needed for that.
Phew! This is the boring part. Congratulations if you got through all of my goals. The next in this series will be a before and after picture of my progress! Comment below if you have suggests on how to organize this space, or if you have a similar project!