Introduction: These photos show the gel stick. It comes in a thick tube and there’s a gel-like product inside. To dispense more, you push it up from the bottom — it reminds me of Push Pops, the candy brand. I’m using the shade Blissful, which is a dark pink shade with a little bit of coral. I’m pale (as you can definitely see) and I find this color to compliment both my pale skin and my dark hair. Tarte offers a variety of shades, try them on your wrist before purchasing!
Application: There are a lot of ways to apply it. I typically use the easy way, which unfortunately makes you look like a complete idiot until you blend it out. (Flattering, no?) As you can see by the look on my face, I was paying too much attention to holding the camera and accidentally smeared the stick way too high up my cheek. I usually drag the stick in circles on the apples of my cheeks about five times or so.You can also apply it in these ways, if you’re not lazy like me:
- Drag the stick along the hallows of your cheekbones instead of on the apples of your cheeks.
- Use your fingers on the stick and then apply it to your cheek using your fingers.
- Use a stippling brush or a large concealer brush to pick up the product from the stick and apply it to your cheek, blending immediately. This ensures that the product stays the cleanest possible because it never actually makes contact with your skin.
Blending: You don’t want to look like a clown (Halloween is over!) so the product doesn’t stain your cheeks immediately. You have about 15 to 30 seconds to blend your cheek color just the way you want it. I typically smear out the circle I’ve made up to my cheek bone and then make sure all the edges blend into my skin. This way, the product makes me look like I’m naturally flush, not like I’m wearing anything. If you’re like me and have ridiculously sensitive skin, your cheeks will look extremely red because you rubbed them. (See picture two above.) This is normal, and the extra redness will fade in a few minutes to reveal your naturally stained cheeks.
Done!: My right cheek is still a bit redder than it will fade to eventually, but the left one has settled. If you apply the stain the way I have, people will probably not notice you have blush on; but your cheeks will have a beautiful color that they lost after you put on foundation. It’s a very natural blush that you’ll completely forget you’re wearing. It has a high recommendation from me!
Some things to remember:
- This is a cheek stain. Thirty seconds after you apply, it will not move on your face.
- For me, the product stays put even if I sweat a lot or rub my face.
- It comes off easily and completely using soap and water.
- It has a dewy finish. If you don’t like this, set it with translucent powder.
- One stick will last you a very long time!
- You can use the stain on your cheeks, lips, or eyes. I prefer cheeks only.
- It comes in a variety of shades, editions, and even shimmers.
- It’s natural, so store the product in a dark cool place with no humidity.
- Tarte never tests on animals, so it’s a guilt-free product. :)